One step closer to cleaning
CLARK COUNTY, Ohio — Toxic chemicals buried underground lie next to an underground water source and area leaders fear they could seep.
On Synder-Domer Road in Clark County, there’s a locked gate you can’t get through, but just beyond that is an old dump that Springfield city leaders are concerned about. They said there were toxins in there that could get into drinking water.
Springfield City Commissioner David Estrop is fed up with the problem.
“With no action in three years, it had become so critical,” Estrop said.
He’s waiting for something to be done about the toxic waste in what’s called the Tremont Barrel Fill.
“We have about 3,000,000 gallons of toxic waste in this fill barrel, right next to our water supply for not only the city of Springfield, but for much of southwestern Ohio, including about half of Clark County,” Estrop said.
He has been pushing for the site to be cleaned up for a year. These dangerous toxins have been buried in the old landfill for over 40 years.
“Everything from detergents to chemicals used in manufacturing processes to lead-based paint,” Estrop said. “At some point, when we can’t predict, it was obviously going to come off,” he said.
Environmental Protection Agency documents show so far, the toxins have not reached the water supply.
Companies found responsible for the mess are heading for a cleanup.
In a statement from Waste Management, he said the company was among a group of seven people working with the EPA on a court settlement or consent decree to begin cleanup. The statement from WM’s head of communications, Mia Jankowiak, reads:
“The documents are a Consent Decree, which will be entered in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, and a Statement of Work that identifies the work to be performed at the site based on the Record of Decision, as as amended. Both the documents are now final and have been sent to the members of the group and the government for signature. This process is ongoing and is expected to be completed by the group in the short term. Once fully executed, the Ministry of Justice submit the Consent Decree to the Court for approval.”
“It was a huge step forward because we now have the support of the Federal Court behind us,” Estrop said.
Once the paperwork and legal process is complete, city leaders estimate it will take about a year before we see shovels in the ground clearing this site.
The City of Springfield is holding a town hall meeting at the city’s high school on April 13 at 6 p.m. for anyone interested in learning more about the toxic dump.